Food has become more than just a source of energy for survival – it is a way of life and can express even a specific philosophy. People are more concerned than ever with the quality of ingredients on their plates and their nutritional value. Organic produce is treasured like never before.
Luckily, there are many services capable of fulfilling the necessities of modern society. We will take a look at some of the best meal delivery services, in this case, Sun Basket vs Green Chef and at the end of the article, we will identify the winner.
Short Overview/Delivery Area
- Number of meals per week: 18 recipes per week
- Special Diets: Pescatarian, Diabetes-Friendly, Gluten-free, Mediterranean, Low-Calorie, Vegetarian
- Shipping charges: $7.99 (the first week of delivery is free)
- Headquarters: San Francisco, California, U.S.
Sun Basket takes pride in the fact that it delivers the freshest ingredients to its customers. The company made sure to indicate the sources of their organic produce and its benefits. Just like many other services, after you place an order, you will receive weekly meal kits with food ingredients and step-by-step recipes. After placing an order, you can customize your plan and introduce all the necessary changes.
- Number of meals per week: 3 recipes per every plan
- Special Diets: Omnivore, Carnivore, Plant-Powered, Paleo, Keto
- Shipping charges: $7.99 (will be automatically added to the total cost)
- Headquarters: Denver, U.S.
Green Chef is a certified organic meal delivery service. This means that all produce comes from ecologic and safe sustainable sources. Through cooperation with farmers, it has increased the quality of ingredients and the taste of its food.
The company’s policy regarding cancellation of subscription or other changes is transparent. The customer doesn’t have any commitments but the time of cancellation has to be 7 days prior to delivery.
- The focus here is on organic and fresh ingredients for every serving;
- New exciting recipes every week;
- They provide various menus to cater to different dietary preferences.
- Sometimes the portions seem too tiny;
- Delivery dates may be slightly inconsistent;
- Some of the ingredients may come at additional cost.
- All the products used for the preparation of dishes are organic;
- The recipe cards are easy to understand and there are helpful color marks;
- Dietary options which would satisfy any customer.
- It is a little bit difficult to navigate and understand the pricing;
- Less flexibility regarding plans (only 3 recipes per plan);
- You can see exactly how much you’re paying for the shipping.
In our competition of Green Chef vs Sun Basket, it is clear that it has more flexibility regarding the plans, so for now, it has scored 1 point.
In the case of Sun Basket, the pricing policy is extremely simple to understand. There are only 2 Main Menus.
1. Classic Menu
- 2 recipes per week – $12.99
- 3 recipes per week – $11.99
- 4 recipes per week – $10.99
2. Family Menu
- 2, 3, 4 recipes per week – $10.99
The final price will depend on the number of people you’re planning to order for.
The pricing for Green Chef services depends on the specific plan you have chosen:
- Plant-Powered – starting at $11.99 per serving
- Balanced Living – starting $11.99 per serving
- Paleo – starting at $12.99 per serving
- Keto – starting at $12.99 per serving
- Family Plan – starting at $10.99 per serving
The cost of shipping will always be $7.99 and it will be included in the final price.
Types of Menu
Sun Basket allows you to choose from the following options:
- Carb-Conscious is perfect for those who want to lose weight and maintain health.
- Paleo is a specific diet that includes products that are high in protein.
- Lean & Clean is another calorie-friendly plan that helps to lose weight.
- The gluten-free friendly plan is exactly what it sounds.
- Vegan –is another plan that includes fruit, vegetables, and plant-based protein.
- The Mediterranean plan represents a specific diet based on Mediterranean traditions.
- With the Quick & Easy plan, you will not have to spend a lot of time at the kitchen.
- The pescatarian plan is a combination of vegetables with seafood and sustainably sourced wild-caught fish.
- The vegetarian represents a classic diet with fresh organic vegetables, eggs, dairy, and fruit.
- The diabetes-Friendly menu is perfect if you want to keep the sugar level at an optimal level.
- The Chef’s Choice helps select the most delicious recipes crafted by Chef’s and made from the high-quality organic ingredients with the addition of Sun Basket exclusive sauces.
With Green Chef you’ll be able to benefit from the following menu choices:
- Keto – this menu incorporates products that are low on protein and gluten-free.
- Paleo – all the meat and vegetables you need.
- Balanced living – this menu includes meat, seafood and a lot of vegetables.
- Plant-powered – this one is perfect for vegans and vegetarians.
- Family – balanced, nutritious and healthy.
Variety of dishes
Because both services have incorporated a similar model of rotating recipes, there is not much difference here. Every week there will be new dishes available to customers. In our tight battle of Sun Basket vs Green Chef, the first one looks a little bit better just because it has so many available menu options.
Another important aspect would be that both companies provide information about the nutritional value of their meals.
The highlight for Sun Basket would be Steaks and roasted sweet potato with scallion-ginger relish. The meat here tastes really good.
For Green Chef, we absolutely enjoyed Beef Meatballs & Gravy. It was delicious, juicy and spicy enough for our taste.
Quality of products
It is needless to say that both companies are at the top of their game when it comes to the quality of the ingredients.
Sun Basket offers detailed information about the source of their products while Green Chef has an actual certificate.
Although some customers have been displeased with the amount of plastic used for packaging the ingredients, everything that’s included in the box and the box itself is recyclable.
More information can be found on the official websites of these companies.
Here, we have a similar process for both companies. In order to begin your journey in the world of delicious meal kits, you’d have to create a subscription first, select your plan and identify the delivery options.
Sun Basket and Green chef provide excellent customer support. You can reach them either by email or simply by calling their service directly.
Sun Basket additionally offers the possibility to chat with their team of experts working 24/7. Green Chef has provided only phone numbers and emails.
Both companies look very good. They have a couple of cons but these are not huge deal breakers. The price is higher than average but that’s because the quality of their products and services is very high.
We feel that Sun Basket has a little bit more to offer with its customer support system being more advanced and their meal selection options more varied. On the other hand, Green Chef is incredibly good with the quality of ingredients.